Boerner Botanical Gardens are botanical gardens located on the grounds of Whitnall Park in the village of Hales Corners, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin. The gardens are named for Alfred Boerner, who designed the original five formal gardens. The Annual, Perennial, Rock, Rose and Peony Gardens were constructed in the 1930s. Later additions included trial, herb, lily and shrub rose gardens, as well as the Bog Walk.
FS -Full Screen, SL – Slide Show
PhotoBlog: Boerner Botanical Gardens, Milwaukee Wisconsin
Part of the Milwaukee County Park System, the gardens are maintained by professional horticulturalists. Many species of plant life are cultivated and displayed. The gardens include test and display gardens for All-America Selections, and is an American Hosta Society Display Garden.
Boerner Botanical Gardens is open from late April to early November, and closes for the winter.
Charles B. Whitnall served as Secretary of the Milwaukee County Park Commission from its inception in 1907 until his retirement in 1941. As Secretary, he was a strong proponent of public land acquisition along Milwaukee County’s lakefront and waterways. A longtime dream of Mr. Whitnall’s was to locate and set aside a large tract of land as a haven for city dwellers; a place people could go to enjoy lakes, streams, wildlife, flowers and trees. In 1924, he found the ideal parcel and, over the following five years, advocated its purchase. Milwaukee County eventually purchased the parcel (1929-1930). Originally dubbed Hales Corners Park, the property was later (1932) renamed Whitnall Park in honor of its visionary, Charles B. Whitnall. After his death in 1949, Mr. Whitnall’s ashes were scattered over his beloved Whitnall Park.